Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have family China that is unmarked expect numbers: They

Customer Question

Hi, I have family China that is unmarked expect for these numbers: They all have 8657 on the back some with imprint 33 and 44. There is no maker mark or symbol. They've been in the family since the 1800's. I can supply photos. I'm trying to find out when and where they may have been made. Thanks!
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Yes, photos of the backstamps would be very helpful.

Thanks so much!

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, here is an image of the back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is one more.

Hello again,

Thanks for the additional pictures. The china is beautiful. However, I've been unable to find its manufacturer. It isn't in pattern books of any of my resources. Replacements.com has a picture of it, but they have been unable to determine the manufacturer as well.

I will opt out since there doesn't seem to be an answer to your question.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

This is handpainted flow blue "Gaudy Welsh" British ironstone china from as late as the 2nd quarter of the 19th century. Without a make name stamped on these, who made these cannot be definitively stated, though these likely originated from the Staffordshire region in the UK. The hand painted and impression numbers on the back were in-house quailty control codes and they cannot be used to trace the maker. In general, the average sale price for fine English flow blue Gaudy Welsh ironstone china is $75 per piece.

~Nora