Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have an abstract painting 48x60 without the frame. It has

Customer Question

I have an abstract painting 48x60 without the frame. It has damage in 2 places on the right edge. There was black masking tape on the canvas inside the floating frame that has mostly fallen off. It was framed at Framesmith in West Palm Beach. They closed in 1985. I took the backing off to look for a title or more on the artist. Only found SMI-1 on the canvas. I'm wondering the value so I can determine if I should take it for restoration or take it apart and try to fix it up myself as I do like it. I also would like to know the value of a painting that has been in my family since the 1920's. Frans Vos painted it for my Dutch grandparents. It's 26x40 and has an 8" oak frame. It's in excellent condition. I like the painting but I would need to have it shipped from western Canada to S. Florida. I could give it to one of my nieces who live in Canada.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Tim in Appraisals replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** you for your question. In today's art market value is driven by the artist. If he or she is listed, collected etc. With an unsigned work the challenge is to identify the artist, which takes many hours of research. You can go to the art history department at the local University for help. The other work by Frans Vos. I made a quick search through my art data base and found names that are close. Usually Vos is spelled with two s's or preceded by a de as in de Vos. Do you have an image of the painting and the signature you can send? You can attach them using the paperclip icon found on the tool bar. I will be on Holiday Mon. & Tues. so there is no rush getting them to me.