Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I bought some beautiful ornate candlesticks from an estate

Customer Question

For Nora: I bought some beautiful ornate candlesticks from an estate sale. They appear to be some type of metal, possibly pewter and have a brass ring at the top where the candle is to be inserted. Can you identify the maker of the candlesticks, the era
in which they were made & the value of these candlesticks?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the request here.

Please allow me some time to look at the images.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

The EP BM stands for Electro-Plated Britannia Metal.

I would need to see just a tad bit more of a clear, in-focus image of the maker mark to try to make a match. I can see a J and an F in the triangles, but the letters I see may not be correct and I need to be exact.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at work & will not be able to get you a better picture at this time, however, the other initials on the outer triangles are "J" and "B", there is a windmill on the bottom of the design and it looks like either "51 11" on the top or "5I II" Does this help you at all?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this is very helpful - please allow me some time to make the mark match for you. ~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry Nora...I misinformed you. The initial on the right triangle is an "F" not a "B"....Could this mark be from the Friedman Silver Co. of Brooklyn, NY / circa approx. 1920? If so what is approximate value?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Yes, eureka! That is correct. Friedman Silver Co from Brooklyn, NY circa 1920.

It is done in a Dutch style and made of electro-plated britannia metal.

On today's market, expect to garner $30 - $50 each. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $65 each.