Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have several items I need appraised so I signed up

Customer Question

I have several items I need appraised so I signed up for the "plus". However it would not allow me to add anymore files. Thanks so very much for your assistance!
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The large canvas blue and red is by artist Paul Martyka.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of these artists are from south carolina
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I keep posting items! I'm kind of new at this!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one with the young boy on farm was artist guy Lipscomb from 1976
Expert:  Tim in Appraisals replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for subscribing to Just Answer. since you have a subscription you can submit as many questions as it permits. However the experts work on each item individually as a separate question and answer, because we are paid by the question. I am happy to help you as are the other experts. Which work of art would you like to start with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we start with paul martyka?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nice to meet you Tim. Doris worked with me last time n three items. If you look at my previous question she listed each item with the values as well as the retail value. I cannot thank you enough!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was the last appraisal I received from doris. I was hoping to get her again..of course no offense. I'm sure you are just as talented! Lol...Biography from Carolina Galleries - Southern Art"William Halsey was born in Charleston in 1915. He was initially a student of Elizabeth O'Neill Verner and Alice Ravenel Huger Smith, but also studied at the University of South Carolina and at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, which awarded him a Paige Traveling Fellowship in 1939-41.Halsey's career would eventually span a period of over 60 years. He was a member of the American Crafts Council, Guild of South Carolina Artists, & Southern States Art League. Described in a 1970's publication as the "Dean of contemporary art in South Carolina", he continued to evolve in his art, working actively until shortly before his death in 1999.Halsey has also been described as a pioneer of Abstract Painting in the South and a nationally recognized talent. Using bold calligraphic brushstrokes, applied texture, and a complex layering of color, his work in intended to achieve a final, elegant simplicity.Exhibitions:Agnes Scott College Berkshire Museum Chicago Arts Club Gibbes Museum of Art Mint Museum Norfolk Museum of Arts & Sciences Pasadena Art Institute Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts Telfair Academy University of GeorgiaPublic Collections: Baltimore Museum of Art Gibbes Museum of Art Greenville County Museum of Art Mint Museum Telfair Museum " When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value. Using this method, I was able to determine the auction value of each of your paintings -The Navajo Boy - $9500Flame - $4500Third painting 1952 - $5045 A retail art gallery would at least double the auction sales price.This means your paintings have the following retail value ranges -The Navajo - $20,000-24,000Flame - $10,000-12,000Abstract - $11,000-13500. A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.Doris
Picture
Expert: Doris - dfm925
Pos. Feedback: 98.3 %
Accepts: 2772

I will be happy to opt out and let Doris pick up the question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's okay sir..if you don't mind I'm okay with you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's up to you.. ;)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mr Tim will you be handling sir?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes if it is alright with you.

What can you tell me about the Baylor Gray piece. Is there a name on it either front or back? I do not see that it is signed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mr Tim. It is signed on the front right side of the painting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He signes his name all together. Baylorgray in caps.

Are you a collector building an art collection or are you buying art sell? The values I give you are based on replacement value, the collector who needs to insure and a fair market value, the value you can expect to sell it for. The print of a Golfer by Baylor Gray has a replacement value of $150.00 to $200.00 and a fair market value of $75.00 to $100.00. The artist is not well known so there is neither a collector base or a strong market for his work.

Can you send a close up image of the ***** ***** watercolor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info sit. We received several pieces of art as a donation to our food pantry. We are trying to attain the values so that we can resell in order to purchase food to feed the needy. We have about 200 pieces. All of then ranging in prices from 100.00 to 24000.00.

It is a very commendable program. Where are you located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am located in Charlotte NC. Where are you located? :)

I am in California. So let us work through you group. The ***** ***** piece. Is there a middle initial?

The one watercolor looks like the work of Boyce KENDRICK rather than Boyle. If so the fair market value is: $125.00 to $150.00.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is pic of Mary c wards signature
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mr Tim it's Boyce Kendrick not Boyle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking at boyce Kendrick work that has sold in the past he averases 400 to 500 dollars so why so low on value?

Thank you. the Mary Cochrane Ward has a Fair Market Value of $100.00 to $200.00 P. Maxwen is most likely Paul Maxwell ( 1925) can you look close to see if it has texture or is the surface smooth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Smooth surfaced

Thank you. Paul Maxwell prints sell at auction for: $150.00 to to $225.00. Was it a landscape for Kendrick? I am going to sign off for a while.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
landscape

Boyce KENDRICK's landscapes sell for the range I gave you the $400.00 sale you found on ebay is for a totally different subject and is not indicative of his normal body of work.