ncsunburst
ncsunburst, High School or GED
Experience:  I've been collecting for over 32 years and worked in the auction business for 25 years
61108514

Video of Lionel train set is attached. If you need more

Customer Question

Video of Lionel train set is attached. If you need more info, please let me know. Thank you
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  ncsunburst replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I viewed your photo which version do you have the 1946 or 47 - 49? Thanks Mike

The 671 Turbine was introduced by Lionel in 1946 and (with various modifications) was sold for four years (through 1949). This item consisted of two separate pieces: a steamer with a "6-8-6" wheel arrangement and a whistling coal tender.

The 1946 version featured a smoke bulb which was used to generate both illumination and smoke. (Afterwards Lionel sold conversion kits to upgrade the smoke unit to a more modern heater-type unit; consequently engines with an original smoke bulb are much harder to find than converted models.) The engine was decorated with wire handrails, and nickel-rimmed drivers with a single side rod. There was no E-unit slot as the reversing unit consisted of plugs and receptacles in the back of the cab. It also had a horizontally mounted motor. The "671" cab number was rubber-stamped in silver. The 8-wheel (671W) tender has a plastic body that was decorated with "LIONEL LINES" in either silver letters or white letters.

The 1947-49 version featured a heater-type smoke unit to generate smoke and a common (much smaller) bulb to provide illumination. The engine was decorated with wire handrails throughout this time period. However the drivers were changed as follows: in 1947 all drivers had thick, nickel rims; in 1948, there were thin blackened rims on only the first and fourth drivers; in 1949, there were no rims on any of the drivers. The boiler was changed to accommodate an E-unit lever on the top. The "671" cab number was rubber-stamped in silver. The 671W tender described above was sold with the 1947 turbine. However Lionel introduced the attractive 2671W streamlined tender in 1948 -- a 12-wheel, whistling tender that was decorated with "PENNSYLVANIA" in silver letters and with a back-up light. The back-up light was soon eliminated and subsequently this tender came with an un-lighted frame and with either silver letters or white letters.

Expert:  ncsunburst replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your train? Thanks Mike

Expert:  ncsunburst replied 1 year ago.