Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs. Best of Nashville Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum
19572128

I bought a silver serving dish with glass bowl fitted inside

Customer Question

I bought a silver serving dish with glass bowl fitted inside serving dish. Dish has on the bottom Gorham E with a ship anchor enclosed symbol P YH 307. The glass dish, which may or may not be original to silver dish, has made in U.S.A. GLASS OVENWARE on the bottom.
I paid $5 for it. What is it worth?
Is the glass dish original to the serving dish?
Lindy Stumpff
***@******.***
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The serving dish is about plate size circumference, has no legs but has handles and top. Stands about 8-10 inches tall.
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research your question to give the most accurate answer.
I cannot talk and do the proper research at the same time.
Besides the site charges you extra for live conversations.
If you see a rate me message and I have not given you an answer with the value, you are not to rate anything.
Again, ignore any rate me messages until you see my answer with the value.
You have a casserole server with fitted oven proof glass casserole bowl for cooking the food.
The food is first cooked in the oven proof bowl then placed in the Gorham plated silver server with lid.
These were very popular in the 50s-70s. Some still use them today for more formal entertaining. They can be very useful.
The style of the plated silver server is the identified by the factory numbers/letters on the bottom.
My research and experience indicates that your casserole set has a current vintage store value of $45-55 assuming good condition.
A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.
I hope I have helped you.
If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.
All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.
I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.
If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.
Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.
Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.
Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.
Kind regards.
Doris
Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Doris