Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraisals
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs. Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum
19572128

I recently purchased several original paintings from a

Customer Question

I recently purchased several original paintings from a painter named Papo de Asis...the artwork are signed by him. I have pics and wondering if they are of any value.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question, however I really only assess one item per question here.
At your convenience, please choose one and send the size and photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
30X32 in great condition
Error in add files.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
signature
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There,
I have not found a match to this artist for you.
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
Thank you for all the information.
Please allow me time to research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.
Kind regards,
Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Papo de Asis
Biography from Leon Gallery
"Papo de Asis (1949-2005) was born in Dumangas, Iloilo. His art has been "socially conscious" since the 1970s. His art developed a much deeper political meaning during the Martial law. He became an activist. In 1975, he formed a "social realist group" named Kaisahan together with fourteen other artists. They have painted murals depicting protest against dictatorship to strengthen camaraderie amongst Filipinos. De Asis is known worldwide for he his art has received numerous awards and recognition locally and internationally."
Source (picture and caption): Habi Arts (n.d.) Retrieved from: http://www.habi-arts.org/papo.php
When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.
Using this method, I determined the estimated auction value of your 30 x 32" painting by Pepo de Asis would be $350-400.
A retail art gallery would charge at least double to triple the auction sales price.
This means your painting would have an estimated retail value of $900-
$1200.
If you would like to sell close to retail, the internet has the largest audience of buyers.
Try this site -
Selling at Artbrokerage.com
https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art
A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.
I hope I have helped you.
If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.
All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.
I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.
If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.
Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.
Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.
Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.
Kind regards.
Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Doris