Steven-R
Steven-R, Retired Major, US Army
Experience:  As an Army officer I traveled the world and developed a love of antiques and collectibles, using one career to start another.
74160645

I purchased these 2 club chairs an settes/benches recently

Customer Question

I purchased these 2 club chairs an settes/benches recently and want to know their value, the tags have been misplaced (still looking for them) the club chairs are I believe 1930s and are not reproductions, the benches/settes I'm not sure. They remind me
of knoll or probber. Can I give me your opinion, as I am selling them, and want to be wise on the pricing.
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I request Nora pls
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anything yet?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the request, however I only assess one item or set per question and these would really warrant in-person inspection for me to assess them properly.
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help with your lounge chairs, often called mid-century modern "box" chairs. I do not think they are Knoll, however, and they are likely closer in age to the late 1940s to mid 1950s in that form. Harvey Probber did design a similar chair, but those examples tend to have a slightly different form overall. I honestly doubt they are by either, in all candor, and not quite as old as you suppose. The framed settees do not appear to be any older than the 1960s or 1970s and are likely copies, sorry.

As for value, the box chairs should bring from $550 to $850 each while the others may stumble above $200, sorry to say. Many similar examples to popular forms of the era were heavily duplicated by many manufactures who sold them via a wide array of formats, from outright furniture chain stores to mail order catalogs such as Montgomery Ward or Sears and Roebuck. Original forms are generally very clearly marked, also, while copies tend to be unmarked.

If I may assist you further in any manner, please do not hesitate to ask.

With kind regards,

Steve