Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a strange art piece...its a cartoon drawing of an

Customer Question

I have a strange art piece...its a cartoon drawing of an elderly man holding a geometric doodle. It looks like 2 pieces, the cartoon and the doodle. The cartoon is signed by Bob Wood 1984. On the back of the frame is taped an article about Sam Grais, a service award winner doodler from the twin cities. I wish I could attach pictures. I figured out who Sam Grais was but not sure about bob wood, because I'm pretty sure the cartoonist bob wood was in jail in 1984.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send more photos.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cartoon is about 23"x14. The doodle in the middle is about 3.75"x3.75"
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Could you please clarify for me what information you are seeking on this piece?
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just wondering if it is worth anything. I'm not sure who bob wood is. I know sam grais had some art exhibits but I believe he was a local artist.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
ok, understood.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi~
Thank you for your patience.
Technically, this drawing is referred to as a ‘caricature’ and not a cartoon illustration.
Caricatures are exaggerated portraits of a person done by quick sketch artists. Most caricature artists are unlisted and they work on sidewalks near tourist areas and entertainment parks.
The person depicted in this caricature is Sam Grais, who was a hobbyist artist later in life.
Here is a link to an image of an article on Sam Grais, with his photo:
http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=457225&image=761456540&images=761456518,761456527,761456534,761456540&formats=0,0,0,0&format=0
Though signed Bob Wood, this is not the same cartoonist famed in the 1940’s for his comic series, “Crime Doesn’t Pay”, who is infamous for both being a murderer and murdered shortly after getting out of jail in the 1960’s. This caricature dated 1984 would be well after the untimely death of cartoonist Bob Wood.
Of interest would be the color image in the center, which is possibly by Grais himself.
On today’s market, you could garner a high of $75 - $100 for this.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora