rarewares
rarewares, Other
Experience:  Appraiser
68269273

I have a workbench vise that I believe is an old one. It is

Customer Question

I have a workbench vise that I believe is an old one. It is different from any I have seen. What makes it unusual is the base . All i have seen have a flat botton and side flanges to fasten it to the bench. This vise has long ears(like a basset hound) that would fit over a 2 X4 or something like it ( like a saddle on a horse). The name on the vise is"Geo. M. Roller Monett. MO." I contacted the Chamber of Commerce in Monett, NO> to see if they could be of any help in locating any information on the company but they were no help. I forgot to mention that one end of the vise is like any vise where you place the item and then turn the round bar to screw it in place for holding.The oposite end has a large mfg. in point.(like a teepee, the point going outward). Hope my descriptions aren't too hard to understand. If you can shed any light on this item that would be appreciated. Does it have any value? Sincerely, XXXXXXXXXXXX
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is an antique (circa 1900) blacksmiths leg vise. The maker is not a known company, so it was likely a small business or not in business for long enough to be noted. An antique blacksmith's vise has a value of $400 to $600.00.