Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I bought two vintage "woodard" settees, but am suspicious ab

Customer Question

I bought two vintage "woodard" settees, but am suspicious about their authenticity - particularly because the original seat fabrication appears to have been removed and replaced with an upholstered wood seat.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
HelloIt is not uncommon for the seats to have been replaced. This does appear to be a Genuine Woodard Settee. Are you wanting a current market value?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell what your assessment is based on? In other words, what Woodard style is this, when was it produced, etc.? Also, if the seat has been modified, what was the original construction?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would actually prefer all communication be in writing. I was just curious what the button to call would do. Please see my response above. I am in need of a more complete answer. Thank you!
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
HelloI understand, the call is an additional service and cost. This is listed at Metro Modern, and from the 60's. The seat bottom was originally a wooden bottom covered in a foam cushion and covered in fabric. A lot of the seats have been replaced. Actually most are missing or have been replaced.Are you wanting a value on these?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I'm still confused. What is "Metro Modern"? Is that a place or a style name? I don't see anything similar in search results with a style name of "metro modern".
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello That is a design name, and no there is nothing on the internet that you will find. As vast as the internet is, there is but 1/3 of the items that appraisers have access to, in our references our books, the data bases we pay for. I have over 200 Reference books, some many on Vintage Out door furniture beginning in the Victorian Era up to the 90's. Listed in a paid subscription data base I found Woodard made a Metro Modern design in the 60's it looks like the design on the back of yours. Now yours could be a copy of their's made by someone else but, I did not find any information that indicated anyone copied their work..If you bought this from a reputable person or company then it is not likely they would lie about the company that made it. The internet is missing so much that is in books there are not enough people to scan all the books and get it all out there and not everything that has been made has been sold on the internet to be recorded, and also items that have been sold are not stored on the internet somewhere, once items are sold most sites remove them because it costs them money to keep data stored.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brenda,
I have also been in contact with Woodard, and nobody there recognizes the style. They also said they don't make outdoor pieces with wooden seats, and that if it was them, it would be an indoor piece. Is there some way you can verify your findings, so I can resolve this? They have referred my inquiry to some "old timers" who may be able to tell me definitively, but anything more you provide in the way of verification would be good.
Sincerely,
Johanna
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am surprised they would tell you they did not recognize the design, as I have called this company before to try to get information on pieces I found at estate sales, and they told me they could not verify anything that was older then 10 years old that they do not retain records, pictures etc of their designs from over the years. If this did not have wooden seat bottom, and by wood I did not mean exposed wood, it was a piece that was completely covered in a water proof material or a metal base. Other then this I cannot tell you how to verify this. I would contact the old timers they are talking about, they may be able to provide what you are looking for. Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Huh, that's weird we've had such different experiences. They have been really helpful at trying to figure out if it's theirs. Can you to send me a picture or screen shot of the Metro Modern style you believe it to be? Maybe there are some differing details that my photos are not capturing, which might explain the disconnect. Thanks again.
Sincerely,
Johanna
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I cannot send pictures from the site, the sites are paid access and are copyright, we are not allowed to copy any form of the site, whether it is images or written data. They charge for access and so are very protective of their material. Sorry I cannot help with that. Glenda