Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have donated a set of personal items from a Holocaust survivor

Customer Question

I have donated a set of personal items from a Holocaust survivor to a museum. For tax reason I now need to get an appraisal. How do I find an appraiser for such a specialized item?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Tim in Appraisals replied 1 year ago.
If the value of the items you are donating is greater than $5,000.00 you need an IRS qualified appraiser. Please tell me where you are located and I will give you a list of names you can call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response, but I am hoping that I get names that give me a better chance of success with this specific item than I would get by doing a search of local certified appraisers. The items are already on display at the Dallas Holocaust Museum, so the location of the appraiser may not matter. I have pictures as well as all correspondence with the museum. I also have newspaper articles about an exact match for the items, donated to the same museum, appraised at $40,000. The two items are a match because they are highly unusual in that they are named to a specific individual, who survived the war, with documentation. I look forward to any help you may be able to give. Thank you, ***** *****
Bill if you want a big gun call:Ms. Elizabeth Kessin Berman AAA Judaica in Context; Collections in Context Nahant, MA 01908 US(###) ###-####tel***@******.*** is the one I would call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ms. Bergman only does Jewish artifacts and says this does not fall into that category. She says she will try to find someone for me, but is not hopeful.
I will see who else does Judaica.
I have located another appraiser who specializes in Judaica.
Georgia L. Jobes
ISA member International Society of Appraisers (###) ###-####(Office)
5600 Vance Jackson Rd.
San Antonio, TX 78230 , United States
There are not many appraisers who specialize in this area.
Hopefully this one can help you.
Tim