rarewares
rarewares, Other
Experience:  Appraiser
68269273

On my honeymoon in Acapulco, Mexico in 1974, I received a

Customer Question

On my honeymoon in Acapulco, Mexico in 1974, I received a silver bracelet with old turquoise and amethysis stones. The box was marked Sanborns Acapulco. I know the bracelet was purchased from Sanborns shop in Acapulco on Easter weekend, 1974; it is engraved as follows "Matl " next line "mexico 925" next line " M-Reg" next line "142093".
I've often wondered what the engraving, other than the obvious, means. Any ideas?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Since about 1970, Mexican silver was marked using registration numbers. Before that time, it was the eagle stamping system. The MATL represents Matilde Eugenia Poulat, a premier silversmith in Mexico City. This is a Matl piece and not a Sanborn piece, though it was bought in their shop. The Mexico 925 means that it is sterling silver and the registration number has no reference because it was intended to create more tax revenue for Mexico and was not for referencing styles. This piece has a value of $185.00 to $225.00.
Expert:  nicolas-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.com/antiques/97eur-honeymoon-acapulco-mexico-1974-received.html
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure why it says I opted out of this question. I did answer and I'm wondering if you are having trouble seeing it.