Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a brass French carriage clock in a leather case presented

Customer Question

I have a brass French carriage clock in a leather case presented to my father-in-law in South Africa in 1932. I have not opened the back but can make out a marking on a steel "arm" shaped a bit like a windmill on the top plate of the movement.
S F
R A
Are you able to identify possible maker / retailer from this limited information.
Shirley Cormack
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  ncsunburst replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shirley, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. If you can post a picture of the clock and the movement I might be able to tell you the maker. Thanks MikeThese markings might not refer to the maker of the movement. They typically occur on clocks made in Switzerland but exported to English speaking countries. They are found on the balance cock, and show the direction that the regulator should be moved to speed up or slow down the movement.S F R A"S" stands for "Slow", "F" for "Fast", "R" stands for "Retard" (which is French for "delay"), while "A" stands for the French word "Avance" (which means "advance").Alternately, some report the "A" stands for the French word "Acc�l�rer" (which means "speed up"), while "R" stands for "Ralentir" (which is French for "slow down").
Expert:  ncsunburst replied 1 year ago.
Hi , I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike
Expert:  ncsunburst replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shirley, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your clock? Thanks Mike
Expert:  ncsunburst replied 1 year ago.