Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs. Best of Nashville Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum
19572128

How do you suggest mailing the china the safest and cheapest

Customer Question

How do you suggest mailing the china the safest and cheapest method
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

China is best packed with 2 paper plates between the plates, platters and saucers. Then wrap a few plates together with several layers of bubble wrap. Tape the loose ends of the bubble wrap together.
For cups and bowls, wrap separately with a couple of layers of bubbble wrap.

Put a several inch layer of crunched newspaper in the bottom of each packing box.

Arrange the heavier items on the newspaper first. Then add the cups and small bowls on top of the heavier pieces.

In a second box, crunched newspaper, stacked plates face up, not on edges followed by lighter items.

Before putting the newspaper in the bottoms, reinforce the bottom and sides of a strong corrogated box with cut corrogated sheets (cut from another box). Then start with the crunched newsprint.

After filling each box up to about 5 inches from the top, put several inches of crumched newsprint on the top of the stacked china.

Firmly tape the box closed with several layers of tape.

Write two things on all the sides of the boxes - "Fragile" and "Top" with arrows pointing to the top.

On the top, write "This side up."

For expensive items, the US Postal service will allow one to purchase higher insurance.

If possible, ship two-day service. This eliminates long trips with boxes transferred from truck to truck.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, or site charges - both are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

Kind regards.

Doris
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Doris