Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a Montgomery Ward reproduction of Renoir's L'Estaque.

Customer Question

I have a Montgomery Ward reproduction of Renoir's L'Estaque. The price tag is on the back of the reproduction. It indicates that it originally sold for $1.99. Also on the price tag (above the price) it says 53 (underlined) and then after that it says 6876.
That makes me think that this item was sold in 1953. The thing that makes this interesting is that the back of the piece is stamped VP725. Renoir: In the Meadow, 18 X 24. The fact that this item was misnamed is what intrigues me. The reproduction itself includes
the swirls of the brush which is a plus but it also has a very noticeable scratch on it. Since the edges of the piece also have some damage, I would call this piece as only being in fair condition at the best. Normally I would say this piece is still only
worth the $1.99 it originally sold for but the fact it is mislabeled makes me wonder if it has any worth. Can you give me any advise as to what it might be worth and also let me know if my assumption that this was sold in 1953 is probably correct. Thanks!
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
What was misspelled?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The entire label is wrong. This is not the painting In the Meadows. It is L'Estaque - another painting by Renoir.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I see, I will see what I can find on this.
Glenda