Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a sketch of JFK over 30 years old in mint condition.

Customer Question

I have a sketch of JFK over 30 years old in mint condition. what do I need to look for in order to have it appraised l?
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much is it worth?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send a clear in-focus close-up of the signature.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm having trouble keeping the reflection out of the picture. And now this website isn't letting me upload...? Is there an email I can send this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried every way I can think to upload these photos
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, To prevent glare, turn the flash off and hold camera at a raking angle in natural sunlight. You can try emailing your images to***@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email. Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin. ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did the pictures come through?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you. ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
😀 great! Thank youChris
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Certainly
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris~
Thank you for your patience.
This is a reproduction lithograph print of a pencil sketch of President John F. Kennedy by famed American Illustrator, Bernard (Bernie) Fuchs (1932 - 2009) . I sold a vast number of his original paintings and drawings when I worked at Illustration House in New York City, an art gallery/auction house that handled original works by American illustrators from the 19th century to contemporary.
If it were an original pencil by Fuchs (pronounced Fewks) of JFK, the auction estimate would be $1000 - $2000. As a framed vintage print reproduction this would sell for a high average of $75 - $150 on today’s market.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So this is not an original? Would you mind telling me how we know?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,
Certainly.
This is not the original pencil drawing; it is a well-known image by Fuchs that was published often.
The original has markers on it for print publication which include several stamps on it that look like bulls-eye type target. Those were used for lining up the original illustration for photo-shoots to prepare for publication.
The back-side, if original and not in frame, would have the publisher labels and the 'job order' on the back side.
In addition, the signature on the original is a lot more bold and defined. The signature on the print has lightened or washed out significantly in the print reproduction process.
If you take a magnifying loupe to the surface, or capture a higher resolution, extremely in-focus close-up to the surface drawing, there will be a dot matrix pattern indicative of the printing process.
Sincerely,
Nora