Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have purchased a 65 piece Meito 8 piece dinner setting

Customer Question

Hello, I have purchased a 65 piece Meito 8 piece dinner setting and have read your advice regarding the Mandarin pattern. Very interesting, thank you. However in doing my research on the pattern, the Mandarin seems to be identical to the Diplomat pattern. Even the sample images provided by the company are identical (their is a section of glare on both photos that is also identical!). How can I tell which pattern it is please? I also haven't been able to determine the approx. year of manufacture for both patterns either. Am hoping you can assist.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nora,
The pieces I have: Terrene & platter; Coffee pot, milk jug, cream jug, sugar bowl; 8 tea cups & 6 saucers; 6 coffee cups & 6 saucers; 3 soup/desert bowls & 6 saucers; 8 dinner plates; 8 salad plates; 8 bread & butter plates. I'm interested to know the approximate age of the setting, clarity about whether it is the Diplomat or Mandarin pattern, value as a complete setting, and value if I were to break it up (eg Coffee pot and accessories, tea cups/saucers, platter and terrene dish etc). Regards, Tracy.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images. Some close-ups on the pattern design and a view of the mark on the underside will be helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this an automated response? One of the photos was the Meito logo on the bottom of all the pieces. Two of the photos show the Diplomat and Mandarin designs from the Meito website, both show a close up of the pattern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There were 8 images in total. Have all been received?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Yes, all of the images are attached here. I was looking at the response from a different platform, which on there showed only one image. My apologies for the confusion - and no, any responses posted on this thread between us are typed up by me in person - not auto-responder.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks for the explanation. Nearly 1.00am here, so I'm off to bed. Will check in tomorrow. :)
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Certainly
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tracy,
I have come up with a few conclusions to your question, however it may be best to discuss this over the phone. I can send an additional offer service for such.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora, phone is inconvenient in terms of both additional cost and factoring in our two time zones. Would prefer your advice in writing please. Regards, Tracy
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
okay, thanks for getting back to me.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tracy,
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora