Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

Nora,We have a third painting we would like to have valued.

Customer Question

Nora,
We have a third painting we would like to have valued. It also from Sweden and the 1950's(?) by Rob Dahlen, who apparently is a painter better known than Nils Engqvist. The painting is 780 mm wide and 590 mm high. The frame, from the same time as the painting is 100 mm wide and in very good condition.
We now live in Australia. Our new house does not fit the style of the paintings I have asked you about. Do you have any idea of the best way of selling them here?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
Thank you for the request here.
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora,
Thanks for your reply. You hopefully got my question referred to you, but did not get any pictures. The file was too big so it probably did not get through. I will therefore send them in 2 stages.
Kind regards,
Bruno
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora,
Here comes the second set of pictures.
Kind regards,
Bruno
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bruno,
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
I am not able to make a signature match to a known, listed artist by the name 'Rob Dahlen'.
I can provide an estimate of value based on comparables
~or~
I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora,
Thanks for your reply and honesty. If you go by comparables, I suppose you would come up with roughly the same evaluation as for the bird painting. I have had this painting evalued in Australia a long time ago but have lost it. It was however judged to be the most valuable painting we have (which surprised me). Therefore we would appreciate if you would please pass this evaluation request on to someone else. - I suppose you have already searched for Robert Dahlen also?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bruno,
I conducted several different word searches and did not find a match to this artist for you.
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora,
Thank you very much. I still hold you as no one. Incidentally, I just found the evaluation made in 1998 for insurance purposes. The valuation of this painting was AUD3.000, the bird AUD2,000 and the Thai painting AUD1,200. How tastes and trends have changed!
Do you do valuations of old wall clocks also?
Kind regards,
Bruno