Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

My Father after WWII brought back plates, teapots, milk

Customer Question

Hi, my Father after WWII brought back plates, teapots, milk pots, cups and my Mother always said they were pewter and she had tried polish some of the pieces. I understand that pewter does not tarnish only silver. On the bottom of a teapot the word AGULDEN and number 8 on bottom. There are other markings but to small to read. Appreciate your thoughts.
Regards,
Rick
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello

Can you send me a picture of the mark on the bottom?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pls. see attached

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 years ago.
Rick

Can you tell what is says at the very bottom of all this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After magnifying the picture the A has a period after it. A. Gulden. If you give a email address I can send more photos
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 years ago.
Rick

I could see that part I was wondering what was under that. Email will not help it gets sent to the site then they forward them to us so clarity is not good.

From what I am finding, I found this doing some research. Gulden is the historical German and Dutch term for gold coin (from Middle High German guldin "golden penny" and Middle Dutch guldijn florijn "golden florin"), equivalent to the English term guilder. Polish currency is "Zloty." Zloty means "golden."

So I am wondering if this is made from old Dutch or German metal like the gold coins.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How can I test the metal to determine the type?

There is a whole set of dinnerware from this and like I said my Mother always thought it was made out of pewter. I have attached a photo of the pieces she tried to clean.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rick
You can pick up a test kit online or you can go to the local hardware store such as Lowes, they sell test kits. Or if you have a local jewelry store you might run it in there ask if they would test it for you.

Did you ever make out what is says under the A Gulden ?