Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs. Best of Nashville Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum
19572128

David huphreys Miller "Custer state park scene" 24" x

Customer Question

David huphreys Miller "Custer state park scene" 24" x 30"
beutifully custom framed to look like old decaying wood.
I think bought in Rancho santa fe ca. in late 80 or early 90's?
thanks
charles
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
Dharles,
Please allow me time to research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.
Kind regards,
Doris
Charles:
David Humphreys Miller biography -
"Miller was 16 years old when he convinced his parents to let him go west in search of history. They gave him a Plymouth coupe and $100, and extracted a promise from him to return home in time for school. Miller headed for Pine Ridge, S.D., beginning a journey that would consume him for the next 60 years. He came to Montana and the Dakotas in 1935 to interview the surviving warriors who had wiped out the U.S. Army forces led by Gen. George Armstrong Custer in 1876. By the time the last survivor, Iron Hail, died in 1955, Miller had interviewed all Indian survivors of the battle, and published the book, Custer's Fall. The Indian Side of the Story. The book chronicled the battle from the Indian perspective, but it was the research that endeared Miller to his subjects. Over the years, Miller interviewed 70 warriors, drew dozens of sketches and painted oil portraits of Indians from numerous tribes. He learned 12 native languages so he could talk with all of them without a translator and became so accepted by the Indians of the plains that he was adopted as a son by Black Elk, the renowned Oglala Sioux medicine man who had been present at Little Big Horn and the 1890 Massacre at Wounded Knee. Part of Miller's collection is Black Elk's walking stick, adorned by 10 eagle feathers. This, and many other presents were given to him by his Native American friends out of fondness and trust.
Republication rights to Custer's Fall and his subsequent book, Ghost Dance, are part of the Miller collection, which also contains 100 individual portrait sketches of Indian warriors, 27 mixed-media paintings on board or canvas, and hundreds of photographs and negatives of Indian leaders, each bearing a label identifying the subject and the time and place at which it was taken."
Compiled by Brent Stevens, Constantine, Michigan
When assessing an artist's painting, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
These are some auction results for work by David Humphreys Miller (1918-1992) -
16 x 22" - Kaminski - 2.24.11 - Sold $275
15 x 30" - San Rafael - 10.26.14 - Sold $475
20 x 24" - Little John's - 2.25.10 - Sold $2000
I could not find any of Miller's work as large as yours; so I will adjust value for your larger size.
My research and experience indicate your framed painting has an estimated auction value of $1600-2200 assuming excellent condition.
A retail art gallery would double or triple the auction sales price.
A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.
I hope I have helped you.
If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.
All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.
I endeavor to give realistic, honest values in a timely manner.
If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.
Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.
Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.
Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.
Kind regards.
Doris
Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Doris