Steven-R
Steven-R, Retired Major, US Army
Experience:  As an Army officer I traveled the world and developed a love of antiques and collectibles, using one career to start another.
74160645

I have a 50+ year old Italian porcelain bowl - like piece.

Customer Question

I have a 50+ year old Italian porcelain bowl - like piece. I would like to find out more about it. On the back Italy is printed free-hand under a stamp of an Urn. I can't ready anything on the stamp itself but there is a number CO 31/38.
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back of the item
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. You have a form of porcelain china commonly called "capodimonte," fashioned after earlier forms crafted in Naples, Italy. It appears that the piece was custom crafted and hand decorated as the coding indicates it was one of 38 painted by artist "C.O." but unfortunately scores of hundreds of individual artisans were contracted for work like this, and there is no complete listing available.
It is mid-20th century in design, so the timeline fits well. The base form was cast in a production mold called a "blank" and then all of the embellishment was added, ending up with a basically modern, low production and hand crafted ceramic.
At present, pieces like this retail in the $125-175 range pending actual condition and demand and even though it is hand embellished, it is classified as production pottery rather than a fine art, I am sorry to say.
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve