Steven-R
Steven-R, Retired Major, US Army
Experience:  As an Army officer I traveled the world and developed a love of antiques and collectibles, using one career to start another.
74160645

I have a Thelma Butler original oil painting, on the back

Customer Question

I have a Thelma Butler original oil painting, on the back says "Austrian Village Street", I have seen her prints, sometimes under Thelma Leaney Butler but never an original. The picture was bought in NYC around 1966, that's all I know. It needs cleaning but I can send a picture of it on my phone. Thanks, ***** ***** I would like to sell it.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help! Your well known artist, born in England, painted mostly in California. She is not currently classified with the elusive "listed artist" title at present, but many of her works have appeared on the open market in the past decades. Most of her original art was sold in a gallery in San Diego, by the way.
At present, original works such as yours tend to be valued in the $650 to $1,200 range today. I have found that pieces like yours are best advertised, if selling, via classifieds on dedicated art forums such as Askart.com or consignment to an up and coming fine arts venue based in New York City, Lofty.com -- they currently do not carry enough estimated value to attract auction houses such as Sotheby's or Christie's, sorry.
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve