Steven-R
Steven-R, Retired Major, US Army
Experience:  As an Army officer I traveled the world and developed a love of antiques and collectibles, using one career to start another.
74160645

I have a "Limited Edition Collector Print" signed by the ori

Customer Question

I have a "Limited Edition Collector Print" signed by the original artist that is framed:
1) Artist: ***** *****on
2) Description: "666 Cold Tablets"
3) 741 of 1500
4) Origin: Frame House Gallery Louisville, KY Copyright 1977
5) Framed size: 34 x 28 Print size: 25 x 18
6) Original print/cover/sleeve on back of frame with info from Frame House Gallery and insert from ***** *****on on his inspiration of scene.
7) Frame in excellent condition. Print never trimmed.
Need appraisal pls. Print secondary market (not framed) @$285 per ***** *****on studio and web site. Much higher I am told if framed and authentic collector print.
Thanks,
Chuck Rogers
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. Currently, your print has an active secondary market retail guide value from $250 to $400 if nicely framed, but honestly, on markets like eBay and Craigslist, this print often is found offered in the $100-150 range. As with any print, the value is based on demand at any given time and overall condition.
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I realize there are many copies of this print in circulation however this is a certified limited edition collectors print that is framed and signed by artist in pencil. Only 1500 were signed. Ths plates were destroyed after this initial issue. It is in almost perfect condition and framed in no glare glass..This is not your normal reproduction. Does this make a difference? Thanks
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** me, I take all of that into consideration. Actually, in the fine art world, any print with a run of over 150 is considered a high number of prints, so 1500 is sort of off the scale. I located three examples readily in fine art guides, all priced (from retail sellers and all framed) from $250 to $400. I also found several offerings from private sellers for under $150, as stated earlier.
Most prints these days command about 1/10th the value of the original art if copies are kept under 150. Once they exceed that, by ANY artist, the value drops to about 1/20th or even 1/30th. I do wish I could advise it had more market value, but in this economy, even better known artists have rather sluggish sales, and you have to bear in mind that it is clearly in the best interest of the studio that crafted it and the artist that produced it to state the values are high--but if you offered the piece to them, you would quickly find they will NOT pay even half of what they told you it was worth, or in most cases, not offer to buy at all.
I get no pleasure advising you of this, and can only hope you understand.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve