Steven-R
Steven-R, Retired Major, US Army
Experience:  As an Army officer I traveled the world and developed a love of antiques and collectibles, using one career to start another.
74160645

My name is***** sister bought two lamps in

Customer Question

Hello, My name is***** sister bought two lamps in the 70's as Capodimonte. She has since passed and left these to me. I have taken the lamps apart to find a signature. What I find is "Ardalt Italy" then perhaps "ero NERO a squiggle, 78, then another squiggle. There is a 1 circled, and an imprint that could be an S of J. I didn't take these lamps seriously until I saw some in a small resale store that were very similar, and they were marked Capodimonte. Can you tell me anything or make any suggestions? Thank you.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. Ardalt of Italy is a well known and respected ceramics house who has been crafting items in "Capodimonte" style for many decades--what you have isn't true Capodimonte from Naples, which is a ceramics family, but you have what is classified today AS Capodimonte in style and form. If made in Naples, where the originals were crafted, the most common mark is a "Crown-N" on the base.
While Ardalt makes fine porcelains, most, honestly, are very generic and made for export or home furnishing businesses worldwide. As such, a pair of lamps tend to retail for around $200 on a good day in this current market.
Here, for example, is a common lamp base form which sold for around $30--
https://www.ebth.com/items/957791-vintage-ardalt-capodimonte-italian-pottery-lamp-base
-
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve