Appraiser JM
Appraiser JM, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have a first edition, 1935, Country Life Press, NJ, of

Customer Question

I have a first edition, 1935, Country Life Press, NJ, of William Gillette's "Sherlock Holmes: A Play with "To Antony Stanford with sincere admiration and a lot of good wishes"
signed by Gillette. In addition, there is a letter by Gillette to Antony Stanford, Columbia Broadcasting Co., dated Dec. 21, 1935. The letter is a vouching for a stage manager Gillette worked with previously, a Mr. Postance, who was apparently looking for work with Columbia. It is typed, but signed by Gillette.
The edition has a jacket which is in I'd guess, average shape for a book of that age.
I would like to know the estimated value and where I could offer it for a fair price.
Thank you. Robert xxxx, Apple Valley, Ca, ph. ***-***-****.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Appraiser JM replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.The first edition of this book in 1935 was published by Doubleday, Doran, & Co. in New York. Country Life Press was the printer for Doubleday.Typically, the first edition of this book is worth about $65.00. With the signature and the letter, this would raise the value to the $400-$500 range, possibly more in the right market.Your options would be to sell it yourself through a site like eBay, which has really become a go-to location for buyers. The other option would be to sell it to an antiquarian bookseller, keeping in mind that they will offer you about 50% of what they expect to sell it for. If you want to go that route, I can offer you suggestions.
Please let me know how I can help further with this item.
Appraisers here at JustAnswer are not paid until you provide a rating.
If I can help you further, I'd be happy to do so. In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if you could rate our discussion.
Sincerely,
Jennifer
I will not contact you again, but I"m going to ask one more time if you could please provide a rating so that I can be credited.
If you do not feel justified in providing a positive rating, please let me know why so I can try to meet your expectations.
Sincerely,
Jennifer