Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

Glenda, I need your help with 2 tapestries. I sent the pictures

Glenda, I need your help with 2 tapestries. I sent the pictures into support. # XXXXX is a large (4 1/2 by 6 1/2) VERY old tapestry that was definitely passed down from grandparents or further back. This tapestry is possibly Greek or French women but with French words on the bottom left of the tapestry (woven into the tapestry) so a French / Greek combination of some kind. This tapestry was passed down on an iron rod, but about 40 years ago I noticed that the edges were getting a little shabby and that some parts were very worn. So I had it framed by an expert framer in the North New Jersey area. He said that since the tapestry was very old he had to pull the tapestry only ONE inch a day to protect it from any further deterioration. Took months but it is beautiful and has not deteriorated any more in 40 years. At the bottom left of the tapestry it says "Adventures de Telernaque d'apres Rabens" - woven into the fabric (not painted on). Not positive of the spelling, but this is close. Picture #2 of this tapestry ( brown shades) is the correct color. The other picture looks a little pink or orange. This is not the true color and probably due to the light that I had one.
#2 is also pretty large (4 x 5) and is a hunting scene. It is green, brown, creme and pumpkin color shades. This tapestry came from the Eagle mansion in California - maybe early 1900's. I could not find any marks to convey. This tapestry came to my aunt in the middle 1930's already framed.
I would like to have any information pertinent to these tapestries - value, history or interesting facts. I realize that this type of thing might require someone to actually view it in person, but there might be some research information available. Thank you Glenda. These are the only tapestries that I own and probably the most valuable to me as a cherished family item.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 10 months ago.

Hi Pat

These sound wonderful, look forward to seeing them.

Glenda

Hi Pat,

.

The Tapestry is Adventures De Telemaque Dapres Rubens in French, it translates to " The Adventures of Telemachus from Rubens. Rubens was a famous painter in the 1600's, some of his works were made into tapestries. Telemachus was the son of Ulysses found in Greek Mythology. This is possibly a scene from that story that was once painted by Rubens. The work was copied over the years.

.

There is not any information on the other tapestry, they do have a good value due to the age of the piece, not as good as the one marked. If there was a makers name it would be good. So many were made and not signed.

The Antique Tapestry " Rubens work " has an estimated value on the secondary retail market for an of average of $850.00-1050.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. The Hunting Scene Tapestry - $400.00-450.00. For insurance purposes these would be 45-50% higher. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally. As antiques and collectibles are subject in selling price to different areas across the country. Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities.

.

If there is anything further you need to know regarding your question please feel free communicating this to me ( with reply to expert button ) any problem can be resolved. A satisfactory rating allows me to be credited for my time answering your question. I always do my very best to offer you the most current values and any information I can find for you.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, use the specific ask for expert function. Then just put my name ( Glenda )at the beginning of your question.

Please consider doing the survey when you get it in email, ( this impacts my job ) please consider that the rating is for my Professionalism and courteousness to the customer. I am not responsible for any values that are not as high as expected. ( which I have no control over ).

It has been a pleasure working for you, I look forward to it again.

Thank you so much!

Glenda

.

Keep in mind there are a Multitude of Categories to serve you, from Legal to Pets and everything in between.

Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.