Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Experience:  20+ years of experience in appraisals.

I have a set of plates my father picked up in ww2 he was

I have a set of plates my father picked up in ww2 he was a merchant marine. The makers mark is stamped in red but can not find it. The plates or fine bone china bright colors gold around the outer rim.

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help with your interesting set of plates.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of the pattern and one of the whole set, or itemize what it consists of, number of dinner plates, etc and I'll tell you all about them and give you a value.

The best way to get additional pictures to me is to upload them to one of the free public picture hosting sites and give me the link.

The one I find easiest to use is (three clicks and a copy and paste and you are done).

Go to

(no need to 'log in' or 'register' it makes it far too complicated)

Click on Computer

Select the pictures you want to send me from the box that pops up.

Hit open.

Click on Start Upload

And then copy the link they give you. It will look similar to this and it's located right under where it says Link (email & IM) and paste it here where you are typing to me.

(If you've uploaded multiple photos on one link, copy the URL in the browser bar at the top of your screen, otherwise I get just one photo)

Many thanks and wait to hear,

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well hope this is right and YDTHnux ,9ZKyygm 5 lrg plates 71/2 " 3 sauces 5 1/2" Tea pot 5 1/2" tall

Excellent! This picture came through just great, thank you!

The links to the other two images did not work.

If you still have them, can you give them to me again (just the last 7 characters is all I need, I can add the rest) if not, don't worry, I have enough to go on with this one.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

bynjC1q ,YDTHnux ,9ZKYYgm

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

bynjC1q ,YDTHnux ,9ZKYYgm

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX make bynjC1q work just fine (it's the one of the plate above) but YDTHnux and 9ZKYYgm have a case or a letter wrong somewhere.

Not to worry, I will go ahead and give you an answer on this and if you still wish to send the other photos, I would be more than glad to look at them and add further comments if necessary.

This beautiful china dates to circa 1930s was made in Japan.

It's an example of what's called "Dragonware" (for obvious reasons) a pattern that has been around for hundreds of years in Japan and China, but became especially popular in the West from the 1920s - 1950s and the Japanese produced quite a bit of it.

The enameling on the raised relief dragon and elsewhere on the plate is an elaborate and hard-to-do decorative technique that the Japanese call moriage (pronounced "mori-ah-gay"). It's a process similar to icing a cake with a piping bag. The paste-like slip (liquid clay with color added) is squeezed through a tube.

The decorative squiggles in gray and black are stylized clouds, as the dragon in the far east is a friendly but powerful creature of the sky, usually chasing the heavenly 'pearl of wisdom', or the 'jewel that grants all desires' in the Buddhist tradition. Sometimes he holds the jewel in his hand or in his mouth and you may see that in the decoration on the teapot which is often a little more elaborate.

Around the border of the plate is a brocade pattern with half flowers and leaves which are actually stylized chrysanthemums known as kikumon.

The mark on the back is a two character kanji script mark that reads:

or Matsu shirami.

This is one of many Matsu porcelain decorators located in the Nagoya area of Japan, where most of this dragonware was produced.

As for value, these sets are not worth as much as they should be considering the workmanship. If you saw the teapot, saucers and plates for sale in an antique store, they would have a retail value of about $400 for all of them, or $40 per large plate, $10 per saucer and $175 for the teapot. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

Expect to get about 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you would like any further explanation or expansion of any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you would like further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,