Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antique Expert
Experience:  25 Yr Decorative & Fine Art, Historic Objects Expert, CAGA, AOA

"Dori" Hi Dori another mystery for me nd help

"Dori" Hi Dori another mystery for me that I tried researching well into the night so I am hoping maybe your eye and knowledge can be of help. I was told that it was a early 1900s and commissioned to be made for a Lord and Taylor,Macys,Christies type store and was made by the sculpture Erte BUT I cannot find any signature on this. It was just the story told to us by the relative who left it to us in his collection. Without stand she is 24" tall and with stand 34" tall and 12" wide. Another mystery so any help would be appreciated

Here are the photos

Hi, I'm Josie and I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when she is back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Hi John - Thank you for the many pictures. I know that they take some effort and I appreciate the helps so much.

Unfortunately, I have to say that this in no way resembles the work of the artist, Romain (Erte) De Tirtoff (1892 - 1990) in any way. The stance, face, handling of the costume etc. are not in keeping with the artist's style. I wish that I could say so but it is just not Erte knowing his work and what he is well known for in figurative sculpture..even the material and the handling of the surface paint is just not of his hand.

The features, gold coloration, shape of the handling of the shapely female figure, handling of the draping, details on the headress too all look to be 1950's..and is certainly not early 1900's..and again it looks too to be quite mass produced rather than custom made, which a lack of a mark tells us as well.

The material is hard to detect in an image (probably not up close) but seems to be a plaster of sorts..tell me if I am wrong..but historically plaster/chalk work was a more mass produced material make as well.

The value of this good size work would be moderate unfortunately without a mark..and looking at the date. A range of 85.00-100.00 (USD) is realistic in today's market depending on the condition (it is hard to see any mars from here).

I hope this helps..I too wish this were a more significant piece but if you want the truth..this is what I see.

Best regards, Dori

PS If you have other items of interest please remember my name. Any post addressed to "Dori" in the question will be sent to my inbox so I can help my return patrons first!

I would be more than happy to work with you again!

Thank you and please do rate this question, as this is the only way that we are credited for our further cost to you, it allows them to pay for my expertise!

Experience: 25 Yr Decorative & Fine Art, Historic Objects Expert, CAGA, AOA