Steven-R
Steven-R, Retired Major, US Army
Experience:  As an Army officer I traveled the world and developed a love of antiques and collectibles, using one career to start another.
74160645

Hi Steven, Ive got some old paisley shawls I wonder if you

Hi Steven, I've got some old paisley shawls I wonder if you know about. I know some sell for $$$ and others not so much. Photos 1-3 are a 67" square. Photos 4-7 are of a 77" square. and photos 8-11 is 124" x 61". Thanks so much, Sue ps. did you get the question from yesterday about the blue and white lamp?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I'm Josie and I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Expert:  Steven-R replied 11 months ago.

Good day, again! I have no clue why I am not seeing your posts! Luckily the moderators are telling me, but I will contact Customer Service to see what the issue is...my apologies.

All three shawls appear to be original but no earlier than the late Victorian era, honestly. The oldest is likely the one with the black central rectangle, which could date to around 1870. The others are 1890-1930 era.

The paisley design has been influenced by many cultures, but originally came to the west as a result of the trade in cashmere goods from the Valley of Kashmir, down to India, and from there to central Europe. Honestly, all of yours except the first one in your images, look European...the first one appears to be from India. Weavers in India and Europe both faced challenges with the changing fashions in the 1870s and 1880s. Paisley shawls did not fit over bustles as easily as hoopskirts and were no longer a strong fashion trend by the 1890s. Earlier forms tend to be more rectangular than square, but not always.

At present, the range on all three would be from $75 to $150 each with the exception of the one with the inner black rectangle, which should be $95-175. The market on these has gone down a great deal in just the past 5-6 years, as have most fine textiles. Early types, pre-1860 era, will still command $300-700 but I don't think yours are that old, sorry!

If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.

Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.

Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also compensated for our time and effort.

Have a blessed day!

With kind regards,

Steve

Steven-R, Retired Major, US Army
Experience: As an Army officer I traveled the world and developed a love of antiques and collectibles, using one career to start another.