Steven-R
Steven-R, Retired Major, US Army
Experience:  As an Army officer I traveled the world and developed a love of antiques and collectibles, using one career to start another.
74160645

Hi Steven, I wonder what you think about this Chinese jar lamp.

Hi Steven, I wonder what you think about this Chinese jar lamp. It originally had cloth cord, and double sockets with pull chains. It says "CHINA" in red paint under the wooden base. It is 28" tall to the top of the harp. Thanks so much, Sue
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 12 months ago.
Hi, I'm Josie and I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 12 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for your continued patience. I sent a second message to Steven to request he follow up with you here once he is back online.

Best,

Angela
Expert:  Steven-R replied 12 months ago.

Good day! My apology for the delay--for some reason I am not seeing questions directed to me for the past few days--a moderator advise me you had posted this!

You clearly have a Chinese ginger urn styled cobalt on base styled piece from around 1910-1930s era which may have received some "love" in the past--the cord wrapping was likely silk, which is highly resistant to heat, and the use of that was stopped around 1930 when rubberized cords became more common.

At present, the typical retail would be $125 to $175 in most markets--the same basic companies who manufactured porcelains also created the bodies for the export lighting trade, but in most cases the pieces are not maker marked, as the standard forms would be. I don't think the shade is original, however--I don't think that will affect the overall value and it is a pleasant match!

If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.

Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.

Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also compensated for our time and effort.

Have a blessed day!

With kind regards,

Steve

Steven-R, Retired Major, US Army
Experience: As an Army officer I traveled the world and developed a love of antiques and collectibles, using one career to start another.

Good morning! I forgot to add the piece was porcelain, by the way. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

With kind regards,

Steve