Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

Nora in antiquesI have an 11 1/2 inch square platter. On

Nora in antiques
I have an 11 1/2 inch square platter. On the back there is 23/400 hand painted for F.B.C. In eItaly. The color is maybe mauve or brown and white. I have no idea how it came ino the family but I think I have seen it for over 40 years. My mother would have acquired it when she lived in Philadelphia until 1985.
Hi Nancy,

Thanks so much for the request.

I would be happy to help you with your platter that was made in Italy.

For this piece, I will need to see images.

A full image of the platter with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.

When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.

For photos you can try the paperclip attachment icon in the toolbar below. (available in the Firefox browser only)

The most successful method for sharing pictures is this:

Go to

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did send pictures from my ipad.
Hi Nancy,

I have not received any images. Did you use the paperclip function or

If neither the paperclip function nor works for you to load photos, then you can email your images [email protected]

When you send your photos to that email address, please write “For Nora/Antiques” in the re: line and request that email be forwarded to me.

The images must come from the same email address you use for this site. Best to include your user name in the email. If you send from a phone, please include your email address in the text.

Photos must be under 1MB to make it through email or they will not arrive.

Please note, photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.

I look forward to seeing the images.

Hi Nancy~

I received the images of your square platter. Thank you for your patience.

This is vintage Italian majolica. Majolica is the Italian word for tin glazed earthenware. In France it is called Faience and in Holland it is called Delft.

The plate was made for the store firm, F.B. & Company. After much research, I came across a number of made for F.B. & Co pieces, but nary a mention of what the initials F.B. stand for. Pieces were made for F.B. & Co in Germany, Italy, Japan and the US. This is not unusual as higher end department and decorator stores commissioned works from potteries around the world since the 19th century.

Your piece is a sgraffito, or incised, with a raised enamel glaze. This is fashioned after a Japanese style of decorating ceramic and it is not purely Italian in terms of way it was decorated.

From the style of the hand written under glaze mark on the back, this was made in the mid-20th century.

There were thousands of potters in the Deruta region of Italy. The unique thing about marks on mid-20th century Italian majolica is that they rarely distinguished who made each piece. The belief was that any ware from Italy is of high quality, and thus there should not be competition between themselves.

On today’s market, your platter would sell for $75 - $125. The insurance or replacement value is $225.

Feel free if you have further questions about your platter that was made in Italy for export.

Please only leave feedback when you feel satisfied your question has been answered.

Our conversation will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left.

Hi Nancy,

Thanks again for the positive rating.