CAssoc
CAssoc, Certified Personal Property Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Appraiser Personal Property (CAPP)ISA. USPAP accredited. Who's Who VIP 98-99, National FX TV featured
19938325

What is the value of a Howard Miller 150-H Westminster Chime

Customer Question

What is the value of a Howard Miller 150-H Westminster Chime grandfather clock, model 610-181 bought in 1978 and still in very good condition?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  CAssoc replied 5 years ago.

CAssoc :

Are you wanting a market (resale) value opinion or a retail (insurance purposes) value opinion.

JACUSTOMER-2rl0huee- :

Resale value. May sell... or keep... depending on value. Not insuring unless I need to!.

CAssoc :

ok, will do some research and get back soon.

CAssoc :

Your clock was made prior to Howard Miller giving styles a special name. There are a number of different Model 610s. Could you tell me if yours has a moon face and a top split pediment (not a defect, the top comes up in flanking curves with a turned finial in between)

CAssoc :

Or is it a continuous bonnet top?

CAssoc :

Also is it Oak or Walnut?

JACUSTOMER-2rl0huee- :

Definitely the flanking curves on top split by a turned spike in the middle (finial?)

JACUSTOMER-2rl0huee- :

I didn't recognize the moon, but the literature refers to setting the moon dial. It has a semicircle on top of the square clock face which has a "moonlike" circular image which might be the dial. That object has a banner across it with latin or other language words across it.

Again, it is a 610-181 model and the card inside refers to No. 150-H Westminster Chime

Thanks for your help

JACUSTOMER-2rl0huee- :

Oh... I don't know if it's oak or walnut. Unless you can tell me how to tell the difference, I wouldn't know this.

CAssoc :

Hi, are you there?

CAssoc :

Thanks for the info. If you are there, oak will have very dark strong grain and unless stained dark, a lighter color. Walnut is a warm brown with fine grain.

CAssoc :

It looks like the 610 models were made in cherry and oak. Cherry will be reddish brown and fine grained.

CAssoc :

Ok finally found that model. It is also called the "Grant" and came with a Windsor Cherry finish or other hardwoods. Plays Westminster or Ave Maria. Current Resale runs between $300-$570.

CAssoc :

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Accepting does not cost you any additional money, it just credits the experts so they get paid for their expertise, time, and research.. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also.

JACUSTOMER-2rl0huee- :

I'm concerned and confused with your estimate. I've seen model 610 grandfather clocks online well over a thousand dollars. Why is this estimate so low?

CAssoc :

It is due to the particular model, current retail on it is around $1000, but the resale market is really low for it. I know what you are saying as several of the models in the 610 line run into the $10,000-$15,000 range retail. I wish I had better news for you, but I did find the exact model. My best, Randi

CAssoc :

Does your clock look like this one that is still being made? It is model 610-182?

CAssoc :

Rather 611-182?

CAssoc :

The problem is there is very little reference out there for your model. I found one sale as noted above and one other reference with a question about your model clock being purchased from a thrift store and how to put it togerther. The clock expert was also not familiar with your model as it apparently was made for a short time.

JACUSTOMER-2rl0huee- :

Yes, but probably not quite as ornate. Only the center finial on top, not the two on the sides. And the pendulum is smaller and simpler.

So this seems to be a "simpler" model, produced for only a short time, so there isn't a lot of history on resale, I'm hearing from you. Not much to compare to. And the $300 - $600 estimate is based on a $1,000 current retail. My last question then... is moving it problematic (because it's fragile) and do you need to have it serviced when you do move it?

CAssoc :

Take the pendulum and weights off to move it and do not lay the clock down (horizontally). Move it in an upright position. It is best to have a clock person or someone knowledgeable put the clock back together if you are not comfortable doing it. A service call can save a lot of headaches for you. You have a lovely clock. I have been thinking about it and due to the lack of sales info, and the detail on your clock, I would revise my insurance replacement opinion to $1500.

CAssoc :

My best to you, Randi

CAssoc :