Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a Kenmore stove purchased 12-18-14 and am having

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore stove purchased 12-18-14 and am having trouble starting the oven, I discovered the if I turn a burner on the oven will light and heat, but now it does maintain the temperature,
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: the stove is 2 1/2 years old, the model # is 790.74334310
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I hit the wrong button, no. I should not be having issues when it is not that old. We live 60 miles from a repairman and between labor, mileage and parts I want to find out approx. cost .
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 11 days ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

If you turn the oven on WITH OUT a cooktop burner on does the control /clock show that the oven is on?

and are you on L/P gas or Natural gas?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
L/P gas and yes it shows the oven is on.

ok if with out a cooktop burner on and the oven control showing it is on are you getting any F error codes in the display ?

and does the oven do this for BOTH Bake and Broil cycles ?

If you have not tryed Broil lets do that at this time please.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
no error codes on display and the broil part works fine

ok so it is just the Bake mode .lets set the unit in Bake open the door remove the oven floor pan and tell me if you see the igniter glowing or not please.

Then reply back to me.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
it glows, but only on one side of the oven floor

ok so the igniter glows but the burner does not light now with the oven still on turn any cooktop burner on does the oven bake then light?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I turned the r front burner on and the oven started to heat!!!

ok that tells we that you have a issue with the gas valve .

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Safety-Valve/5303210798/620974?rcaid=1000070

If you have any questions just reply back to me .

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you very much!!!! can u give me a ball park figure on the part !!!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is the valve in the oven so it has to be taken apart???? or is it located on back of the stove

The valve is on the rear of the oven .

the link i sent you has part number ,price and you can even order it from that link I show the price is $307.67 for the gas /safety valve assembly

Now rememeber I have nothing to do with the price of the part so doe not shoot the messenger!

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I won't, thanks again for your help, still seems like there should not be a problem when it is only 2 1/2 years old!!

Yes You would think so .

But i know for a fact that most appliance manufactures do testing on parts life span and cheapen the parts so they just last out of warranty. they make more money on replacement parts or hope you just by a new appliance.

20 years ago they were expected to last 12-15 years but not any longer ,it is all made out of plastic.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.

Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 5 days ago.

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time
This is NOT a free website!