Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator. I changed the water filter,

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator. I changed the water filter, but now no water is going through to the ice maker.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Must be 10 years old. I don't know the model.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I could
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that is it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.
  1. When you replaced the filter, did you run several gallons through to purge the air?
  2. Was the ice maker working before the filter was replaced?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I replaced the filter no water flowed.
The ice maker and water dispenser were both working before I changed the filtering
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Will it dispense with the old filter put back in (if you still have it)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I threw the old one away
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. So there are two possibilities. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Two scenarios could be causing the issue you are having.

1. The new filter may be faulty. This may especially be the case if you have used an aftermarket filter and not one manufactured by Whirlpool.
  2. The filter housing may be faulty, specifically the valve that directs the water through the filter or bypasses it.

I would start with trying another filter. If nothing changes, the filter housing will need to be replaced. I can help with that if you provide the model number! :)

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.