Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE Monogram Ice Maker (ZDIS15CSSD). I recently

Customer Question

I have a GE Monogram Ice Maker (ZDIS15CSSD). I recently replaced the control board (about 6 weeks ago) because it was heating faster than it was making ice. I returned from a few days away to find the inner compartment really warm and the lower cooling area hot to the touch. The gills on the radiator are clean. I have replace the axial fan several time, but am not sure that it is working. I thought that a leak from above due to the ice melting had shorted it out. I installed a new fan last night and it is still really hot.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model ZDIS15CSSD; it's about 15 years old. I replaced the pump about 3 years ago.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 days ago.

To be sure I understand, the compressor is running and is pretty hot and the area inside the ice maker is warm, is that correct?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 days ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 days ago.

The reversing valve that reverses the flow of refrigerant to heat the evaporator plate is stuck and will need to be replaced. This is not a DIY repair as it requires working with the sealed refrigeration system. It will require the use of very specialized equipment and training. This repair can be expected to cost about $350 + parts and take several hours to complete. A GE technician may be scheduled by calling 1-800-GE-CARES.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ugh. Okay, thank you. It's probably less expensive to replace the unit.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 days ago.

I can check new prices but they are usually about $1000-1500. However, at 15 years old, it may be time to look at replacing.....