John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Last week I had a query regarding my electric jenn air top.

Customer Question

Hi there, last week I had a query regarding my electric jenn air cook top. Cleaning the down draft to be specific. I was directed to the tech and provided all my credit card information, $35, stove information etc and never heard back from anyone or received confirmation that I had paid. Can you assist me.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Jenn-Air is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model jed4430wb01 serial dy4769862, 8 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

can you tell me what problem you are having with the cook top, thanks.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Joel, below the downdraft where the air is pulled to the fan, grease has collected over 8 years and is now producing unpleasant odours. I've cleaned everything I can reach but cannot figure out how to get to the area without pulling the entire stove.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay so don't call please explain in an email.
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 10 days ago.

You will want to follow the directions below:

click here for instructions

However if the build up is so bad that you can't get to after the vent and filter have been removed then you have not been replacing the filter or cleaning it as often as you should have and now to properly clean you will have to uninstall the unit and disassemble it to get it clean. Or if that is just not an option then you can try and make some sort of tool to try and clean it out like :

wrap a microfiber cloth around a new and clean toilet brush. Secure it with rubber bands and try to get to it with something like that.