Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My Frigidaire dishwasher won't start. I've already done a

My Frigidaire dishwasher won't start. I've already done a lot of troubleshooting and replaced the control board and touchpad console.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 5-10 years old, but it's still in production. Model is FGBD2435NW0A
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It has power as far as I can tell, but won't start.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Buttons all work, it just won't start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No - buttons do nothing at all. Absolutely nothing happens - no lights or anything

Do you have a meter to test voltage with?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unfortunately I'm not sitting at the unit right now. These are the steps I've taken :These are the steps I tookReset breaker
Check for continuity on door latch switches (yes)
Check for voltage from electrical junction box (yes)
Check for voltage to control board (yes)
Check for voltage between control board and touch panel (yes)
Confirm this model does not have a thermal fuse (though if it did, I suppose there wouldn't be voltage at control board)
Replace control board (no effect)
Replace control board and touchpad (no effect)

Behind the access panel that is below the door, in the right front corner, is the power junction box that houses the wiring connections. You read 120 VAC at those connections?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I didn't check for 120v, just used a voltage detector... but the house circuit seems to be good because there is another appliance (gas stove just plugged in for the clock/spark) which works fine.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it common to have voltage but not the correct 120v suddenly?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did open the power junction box and check the connections, seems fine, and of course my voltage detector is beeping in all the right places all over the unit.

A voltage detector is not accurate at all. That won;t be helpful to diagnose. Can you get a meter that reads exact voltage?

If the junction box connectrions seem okay, there is probably a wire broken in the harness that leads up the door to the control. Check right at the bottom where the harness bends around the tub.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a multimeter. I'll check for 120v, but I looked at all the wires and couldn't find anything that looked frayed or broken.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A broken wire could cause the unit to have power, but not start?

Typically, they break in the insulation and will test okay until the door is shut and the wire is stretched. It can be a real fun time trying to find that! :-)

If it is totally dead, no lights or anything, it is likely the black wire that leads to the control or possible the white neutral.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's possible (with the door closed) to have power all the way through control board and to front panel, but have a broken wire somewhere?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Voltage detector has power in the ribbon cable to the touchpad, but the pad has no lights and buttons do nothing.

Yes, you may have power enough to make your detector go off but not power the control. The ribbon cable has no voltage to speak of, it is a switching connection only. That is why we need to measure the exact voltage.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What a mess. OK is it possible to keep this question "open" until tomorrow when I can work on it again?

Of course, it will be here indefinitely, just post back when you can!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will it be you or possibly someone else?

Only me unless you opt me out and request a new expert.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will you be around tomorrow around 9am central? One last question just in case... suppose I find 120v in junction box, and can't find any frayed or broken wires... then what?

Then we test up to the control area. I doubt we will find 120 VAC at the control if you have a new control in there. Yes, I will be here, I start about 8 AM MST.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
8am MST... what is that in CST? LOL
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yup, 9am. Sounds good!

That would be 9 AM.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks - talk to you tomorrow

Roger that, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey bud you there?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Upon closer inspection, one of the wire nuts in the junction box was melted. I think my friend spilled water down the front of the unit when cleaning her fish tank. Now that power is connected, two middle lights on the panel are blinking.

I see that you opted me out but nobody else has posted. Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I only opted you out because I was right in the middle of things and you didn't seem to be around. I appreciate you checking back in. You were right - there was "voltage" in the machine, but not a good 120v connection. One of the wire nuts in the junction box had melted and the wires charred and lost connection. I stripped the wires and put on a new wire nut and now it's good. I should have just listened to you in the first place.
Please advise how I can accept this answer and give you credit for it. Thanks!

No worries, I just wanted to make sure you were taken care of. I am glad you got it fixed, nice job! :-)