Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our Viking microwave stopped cooking. It looks like it is

Customer Question

our Viking microwave stopped cooking. It looks like it is working, lights on, control panel is on, turntable works, makes the normal sounds . It responds to commands and like everything looks like it is working, but it does no longer cooks. Looking for diagnostics assistance.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Viking is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: We just bought this house. microwave came with the house. May be 10 or more years old. It worked wonderfully for about 3 weeks. it's a built in. I took it out and looked for a fuse. Don't see one.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm pretty handy. Have had multiple rental properties. Over the years have done most of repair work myself. Also kind of dangerous, a career design engineer, military products...
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Since this unit is new to us. We could be doing something stupid, like not knowing to operate it properly...
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

So first, this isn't going to be a fuse issue. All fuses on a Viking microwave cut power to the entire unit so it won't light up or do anything whatsoever if you have a bad fuse. If the unit still looks like it's working but it just doesn't heat, that means your magnetron which produces the microwaves has failed and would need to be replaced. You can get parts at AllVikingParts.com if you call them and give them your full model number located on a sticker just inside the microwave cavity. I will warn you that the part is typically about $250 for no reason other than it's made by Viking because most magnetrons only cost about $100 or so.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
you already believe the problem is the magnetron. Tell me why. Is there a test method to verify?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

You can't test a magnetron to confirm it's bad unfortunately. But yes, I know that is bad because you said the turntable still moves, it still counts down, and it still looks like it's running---it's just not heating. That means your magnetron is bad. The only other 2 things that can cause those same conditions are the HV capacitor and HV diode which cause a very loud buzzing noise when you try to use the microwave.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
are you still there??? There is no buzzing noise. Can you provide a contact for parts???
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

yes I'm here, I responded to you several minutes ago. As for parts, you would need your model number listed on a sticker just inside the door way and the phone number to order parts is 1-***-***-****.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Are there installation instructions availiable from you?? from Viking???
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

I can send you an option to extended service if you would like to be walked through how to replace the part but Viking doesn't have service manuals because they do all hands on training.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?