RJ
RJ, Appliance Tech.
Experience:  Norcold, Dometic, Atwood, Suburban repairs
3862310

We have a 1989 fith wheel RV with a dometic refrigerator. It

Customer Question

We have a 1989 fith wheel RV with a dometic refrigerator. It does not work on propane anymore but we have been using it with the battery being charged with the generator. The freezer still works but does not cool the rest of the refrigerator. Is there an easy fix or should we replace fridge
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: I think it is a dometic and is about 17 years old, I think it is the original
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't know, we were going to scrap it but were told it might just be something simple to fix
Category: Appliance
Expert:  RJ replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  RJ replied 2 months ago.

What is the make and model of the fridge??

Also you say it is not working on propane, is the flame going but the box is not cooling or it is not lighting off at all??

Expert:  RJ replied 2 months ago.

I see it is a Dometic but do you happen to know the model number?

Expert:  RJ replied 2 months ago.

You can respond in this format as much as you like, if you do not know the model that is fine as well I can still give you some input but do need to know when you try to run it on LP if the flame is going and nothing is happening OR the flame is not lighting off....

Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The propane lighter does not work, tried to get a technician to fix it, he could no longer get the part.We are going to open the RV tomorrow, will find out the model number
Expert:  RJ replied 2 months ago.

OK

Sounds good, just respond back here I would like to see if we can get it going on AC power if possible. To me it sounds like you have multiple issues and it may be time to replace that fridge. When you run it on AC power the flue canister should be VERY hot to the touch, the absorber coils on the back of the fridge should feel warm from top to bottom, if they are cool or you have very HOT spots then that indicates a problem with the cooling unit, a cooling unit will cost over 1/2 of what a new fridge will. There is one final test that can be done to see if the cooling unit is the problem but I need to know the model number. Also the LP side is an issue if there are no parts. It is sounding like this fridge has seen it's days but would like to direct you on one test where you hot wire the AC heating element with a lamp cord going into an outlet, that bypasses everything and will tell us if the cooling unit is bad....

I am around daily and respond when I can.... If you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, you can still respond if needed...

Robert