Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I have a ge profile side by side....series PSB. I have no

Customer Question

I have a ge profile side by side....series PSB. I have no compressor function even after replacing control board and overload. I have A/C power. The whole problem started with a bad refrigerator defrost fan. I replaced the fan and everything worked for 24-hours until the freezer unit began to warm. Eventually the refrigerator side began to warm. Had a repairman out who said that we needed a new control board. Once control board was replaced we have no compressor function at all.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I have 12ohms on both legs of compressor and a/c power going to them
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It is approx. 12YO. It is a PSB42LSRBBV. It appears to be a Samsung private labeled for GE.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Appears that I have to fix myself or replace. All local service guys either say they do not work on the model or they say they have no idea other than to replace main board. The self test diagnostics show that all sensors pass. OVerload checks out okay and windings of compressor are in range. No call for compressor points towards control board but it was just replaced with a new board.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 8 days ago.

The compressor is a variable speed type and the inverter that controls it is part of the main board which you have replaced and the overload will also prevent it from running which you have replaced and you have the correct power to it . all that is left is the compressor itself is defective.