Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My microwave sometimes tells me to open and close the door

Customer Question

my microwave sometimes tells me to open and close the door when I press start. I will not start cooking
JA: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: maytag TR 504 13657
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

This is quite a common problem on these newer Maytag and Whirlpool microwaves and unfortunately it means that one of your 3 door switches isn't always making good contact. Now there are 3 door switches for safety reasons which makes it very difficult to test and determine which switch is going bad since the problem is intermittent. Under warranty we just replace all 3 switches to be sure the problem is resolved, so if it's over 1 year old and not under warranty anymore you can either replace all 3 switches or wait until the problem becomes more consistent so that you can test the switches with a multimeter to test which switch is acting up and just replace that faulty switch.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.