John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a jean-air mod jdb8700ws3 dish washer. I went to

Customer Question

I have a jean-air mod jdb8700ws3 dish washer. I went to start a load and when I pushed the start/resume button the control lock light comes on and flashes 3 times indicating the consoles are locked. I tried to unlock the controls per the owners manual and it will not unlock. manual says to hold the 4 hour delay button or the control lock button for 3 seconds to lock or unlock. The light will flash like it is responding but the washer is still in the locked mode. I also tripped breaker hoping it would clear but same results.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: jean-air mod jdb8700ws3 dish washer
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, thee manual does not tell me how to do a diagnostic test cycle. I just had the control module and key pad replaced under my extended warranty less then 6 months ago.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: thats it
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Your touch panel is likely experiencing a failure. You may need to replace the control panel but there is a trick you can try first. Turn off the power to the appliance. Use a hair dryer to heat the panel up until very warm while rubbing firmly over each of the buttons. Often times, this will restore operation. Be sure to get the panel very warm but not hot enough to damage the plastic. If this does not work, the panel will need to be replaced. Let me know what happens and I can get you the correct part information.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Heating didn't work. I had a brand new control panel that was given to me by the installer do to damage to original during installation. I never installed it as the original comments burned out and have been replaced about 6 months ago. I installed the new control panel and the problem is the same, control lock is still on.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Hmm, sounds likethat panel has failed again. Did you have the breaker off when you did the heat?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it was on.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Ah, leave the breaker off over night and see if anything changes in the morning.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know of any changes, thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No change, control lock light still on.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Hmm, and to clarify, you replaced the touch pad yesterday?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had a new one supplied to me by the installer do to damage to the new one when it was installed. I never replaced it until yesterday after I tried the hair dryer to warm it to see if it would start to work. The new touch pad had the responded the same as the one I replaced. I did not have the breaker off when I heated the touch pad up but I did have it off when I changed out the key pad. I left the breaker off over night and when i turned it on the lock light came back on.
the light goes off when it sits for a few minutes and when you touch any function on key pad lock light comes back on.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

It would be pretty odd for a new touch pad to fail in the same manner. I am going to see if another has any input because I cannot say with 100% certainty what is going on and I do not want to recommend you buy parts unnecessarily.