RJ
RJ, Appliance Tech.
Experience:  Norcold, Dometic, Atwood, Suburban repairs
3862310

The campground had a power outage the other night and my

Customer Question

Hi, the campground had a power outage the other night and my Surge Guard protector actually cut my power prior to the whole campground going out. It said there was <90 volts on one of the lines (50 Amp service). I also heard a buzz from what was most likely the power connection area in back just before the rig went dead. I switched to the generator and lights went well but noticed my residential fridge wasn't getting power. After power came back all was working fine. I checked for blown fuses but haven't found any. Today I had a chance to look into it more and cut off land power see if the fridge would power up. It didn't. I again checked fuses but had no luck. I also made sure the battery "connect" was engaged and it was. Any ideas of what might be wrong and where to look?
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: I have a 2016 Georgetown XL 369 Black Diamond.
JA: What is the model of your '90 RV?
Customer: sorry, I hit the return thinking I'd get a new paragraph!
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, myself. just checked fuses, turned off power and re-connected power. Fridge works on land power but not the generator or battery like it used to.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about all i know for now.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  RJ replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

What is the make and model of the fridge????

Thanks, Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a residential Frigidaire Gallery. Runs on 110 VAC. works fine on land power, just not the generator or batteries.
Expert:  RJ replied 2 months ago.

OK

Have you checked the breakers on the generator?

Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the generator breakers are fine.
Expert:  RJ replied 2 months ago.

OK

So I think what I need to do is get your question over the the appliance section. I am a RV tech but only work on the Norcolds, and Dometics and Atwoods, this is s different animal and another expert should be more qualified to answer this. I do not know how long it will take before an expert responds. My goal is for you to have the best possible answer......

Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's fine. However, I don't think it's a problem with the fridge as it works fine with land power. Seems the problem is something with converting the backup power from the batteries/ Generator to ac power to the fridge. No hurry as I'll be parked a while so it's working now. Just need power when I'm traveling.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I found the problem and all is well now.I guess I was thinking something serious went wrong with the power outage but it wasn't that. Although I checked the battery disconnect switch in my control panel, I didn't make sure the invertor button/light were on!Thank you!Randy
Expert:  RJ replied 2 months ago.

I am glad you found the problem...

My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I only get credit when you select a star rating, if you would like a refund please let me know, I am find in whatever you decide.

Robert