Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE Refridgerator - Model PSS25SGNA BS that stopped

Customer Question

I have a GE Refridgerator - Model PSS25SGNA BS that stopped cooling in both freezer and AC. It is about 14 years old. Is it even worth having it looked at for repair or better to just buy another one?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Already answered that is first question
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Probably not. Only thing I heard I could do would be to clean the coils on bottom... But I have not tried that yet.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am guessing these are auto responses as they don't make sense for my questions.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 days ago.

You are correct, those are auto responses---I am not however. They are just trying to get as much information as they can before connecting with me. Sorry about the confusion. Either way, do you hear the unit trying to run at all or is it 100% silent? And is either the refrigerator or the freezer section cooling at all or are they both room temperature?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks Tyler. Looking forward to hearing your answer.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 days ago.

did you see my questions I asked?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
100% silent. Neither are cooling at all. Lights are working inside, but nothing else.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 days ago.

OK perfect. The only thing that can cause the unit to be 100% silent and not run would be the main control board on the back of the refrigerator. You'd need to pull the entire refrigerator out to see the 8" x 10" sheet metal panel on the back which you'll remove to access and see the board. The board itself is all plug and play and takes about 10 minutes to swap out, but it costs about $150 for the part. Below is a link to the board you'd need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for control board

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?