Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool FB18 freezer that the door vacuum no

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool FB18 freezer that the door vacuum no longer works
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

So contrary to popular belief, there isn't actually a vacuum. The effect that acts like a vacuum is due to opening the door, allowing warm air to go into the freezer, then closing the door and the warm air condenses creating a negative pressure inside the cabinet of the freezer. The colder your freezer is and the better your door seal seals up, the more of a suction you will get. You will want to make sure the temperature inside the freezer is around 0ºF. If that checks good, all you can do is heat up the door seal with a hair dryer really well for 45 minutes or so to allow it to warm up. Then leave the door closed and don't open it for 6 hours or so to allow the door seal to set and form to the frame of the freezer. Other than that, the only option is to replace the door seal if you wanted a better seal.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?