Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE profile refrig/freezer. Yesterday it suddenly

I have a GE profile refrig/freezer. Yesterday it suddenly stopped cooling on both sides. The lights continue to work. I turned the power off for a few minutes and restored but it did the same thing. . ***** *****
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model PSS26MSRB SS and I got it in 2005 new.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not if it is complicated
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No prior problems at all with it.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

1. Is the compressor running?
  2. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section?
  3. Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can hear the unit running. No frost on back wall. Don't remember a fan running in the freezer section. I am at my office right now. Do I need to go home to the refrigerator to continue?

Well, if the compressor is running and it is not cooling at all, that is a big problem. If it is cooling but mostly at the bottom of the freezer and the fan is not running, that is a small problem. So, it will be important to know what is happening to get you the most accurate information.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let me do this. I can go to my house during lunch and check the unit for better answers and email you then. Is that ok?

You bet! Just reply right back here with your findings, thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had opened the breaker and opened the refrig doors so it would not smell. I'll close the breaker and the doors when I get there and let it run a few minutes.

Okay, when you noticed it had stopped cooling, was it warming up in both sections, above freezing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I saw water on floor. I opened both doors and both sides had completely stopped cooling it seems
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did not check for temp differential high v. low areas

Okay, so when you plug it back in, can you remove the rear panel from the back of the cabinet to see if the compressor starts and runs, please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. Screws holding panel on?

Yes, they are usually 1/4" hex head type.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It seems like I will need a technician or a new refrig depending on the cost. Shame because it has been a great appliance till now

It is likely an easy fix if the compressor is not running. Have you had a chance to look yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Attahed photos of the back. Don't know if can get whole thing off. Fan is running in freezer. Just a humming noise in refrig part.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Fan running for sure. Don't hear any condensor cycle on or off

Just the lower panel at the bottom comes off.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Remove the one at very bottom our the shorter one above it in the_first photo?

Correct, just the wide panel at the very bottom.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got it off finally. Working in close quarters

Is the round black compressor warm and vibrating?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it is not

Okay, so that means the board is faulty. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

The board is mounted behind the smaller square panel just above the panel you just removed. All connections simply unplug and plug in, making for an easy replacement!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. I'm a lawyer so I am better with paper than tools. Lol

You should sign up to the Just Answer legal category! Let me know if you would like more info!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will there be instructions on removing and replacing the board or is it obvious.? How much are they? You get an A+ from me my friend

The board sits on plastic pegs, it is very easy to replace. It simply unplugs and does come with instructions! :-)

Board is available below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have already ordered the part with overnight shipping. Thank you

Excellent! Let me know how it goes!