John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We have a Maytag Atlantis washer model number mav6601aww. It

Customer Question

We have a Maytag Atlantis washer model number mav6601aww. It was making an unusual noise when spinning prior to the last rinse. Now nothing moves or turns. The tub is full of water. There is a strong smell like electric wires heating up. We removed all of the clothes from the tub, but the tub is still full of water. After the machine "rested" for a few minutes, we tried to get it to spin. It will not move, but there is a humming sound coming from the washer. What is our next step?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It was purchased in February 2003. The model is MAV6601AWW
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Maybe, if it is not too complicated.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: For the last few months, it would squeal when it was finishing the spin cycle and then stop suddenly with a distinctive "clunk" sound.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 14 days ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

The washer will not go into a spin mode until it has drained the water out.

I suspect that the water in the unit along with the smell is the drain pump belt slipping.

I suspect that the pump is jammed possibly with something in it.

You will need to remove the front panel and gain access to the pump and its belt to see if that is in fact the case.

Then you can let me know , and once the water is out we can see about the unusual noise in the spin mode.