ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

The ignitor on our Thermador top keeps sparking continually,

Customer Question

The ignitor on our Thermador cook top keeps sparking continually, even after igniting flame. How do I stop that.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  ApplianceTech replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why your appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided.
Thanks

May I ask that you provide me the correct model and serial number off the label on your machine?
Thanks
Don

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
PCS366

Have you boiled over or spilled anything on your range, recently?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Newly reinstalled yesterday evening and as usual, cleaned in the process.

Most likely you have somehow gotten water down into the area under one of the burner knobs. Under each knob is a little electric switch that activates the igniter board. Water will conduct electricity. You best hope is that you can get the switch dried out and hopefully it didn't damage it. You could also, try to shoot some WD40 down the shaft under the knobs. It will repel water out of the area that it contacts and also lubricate the switch. You could also try blowing warm air from a hair dryer down into the shaft hole and maybe get it dried out. Be careful to just use the lightest heat setting, so you don"t end up melting something.

If non of this works, you will need to take the cooktop apart to find the offending part and replace it.

If there is anything else I can help you with today or just an additional question about your issue, just let me know.

I thought I would add, that many people think the deposit payment they placed at the sign-up is sent to me after I answer your questions. It is not. It is held by JA until you give me a positive rating and then Just Answer, credits me for the time working with you.
Answering your questions is how I make my living and "No rating" = No compensation for my time.
I am sure you appreciate my efforts on your behalf,and all I ask it that you take a few moments to "Accept" my answer and rate my efforts with 3-5 Stars on your screen, so I can close your question and proceed to help others that are waiting.
Bonuses are always appreciated, but never required
Thank you so very much again for allowing me to help you out today!
Don