Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Bosch SMS50E 38AU/13 dishwasher that will not light

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, I have a Bosch SMS50E 38AU/13 dishwasher that will not light up, ie turn on. It has power in one of the blue wires going to the on/off button, but will not let it flow to the other blue wire unless I hold the button in. Is this switch designed to have either open or closed circuit, or is only designed to send a pulse each time it is pressed. If I hold it in it send power out the other blue wire, ie, closed contact, but the machine will still not turn on, thanks if you can give advice, Graeme.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Maybe 4-5 yld model as stated, thanks.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, it is my own and I am very careful.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: A Rat chewed through the fill hose water part only) which I repaired. Then it would get to its second cycle and show E18, at one try also E 14. The connection to the water fill meter (wheel) was touch and go with those weak plastic connectors, so I soldered it, still showing E18, on I think its second cycle, but the E14 error gone. I have checked all filters inside pump etc , I had the guts out of the switch and there is nothing broken but it does not click and the small points do not stay closed, hence my Q about if it is supposed to be a definite open closed circuit switch, or only send a pulse. I am also thinking maybe a thermal fuse, but one Q at a time thanks again
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

The switch opens and closes contacts in a permanent fashion, so they should be staying closed. The switch will need to be replaced.